The official start of Fall is September 22! We’re jumping face first into it with this irresistibly sweet potato casserole. 😋
It’s safe to say that majority of us Michiganders REALLY LOVE FALL. How can you not love it?! It’s the season of football, pumpkin spice lattes and baggy sweaters! Along with all those wonderful things, it’s also peak season for sweet potatoes.
This is a great side dish for Thanksgiving dinner or for a simple family meal at home. It’s best enjoyed warm – that’s when the sugary, buttery praline topping oozes perfectly into the sweet potatoes. Bust out the butter, brown sugar and pecans cuz it’s about to get super tasty up-in-here!
SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE
– 1 cup packed light brown sugar
– 1⁄3 cup flour
– 1 cup finely chopped pecans
– 1⁄3 cup butter or margarine, cut in small pieces
– 12 pecan halves for garnish
Sweet Potato Filling:
– 5 lbs. fresh sweet potatoes, peeled, boiled, drained and mashed (6 cups)
– 3 large eggs
– 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
– 2⁄3 cup butter or margarine, melted
– cup heavy cream
– 1 tsp. vanilla
– 1⁄2 tsp nutmeg
– 1⁄2 tsp allspice
– Preheat oven to 350°.
1. Mix together brown sugar, flour and chopped pecans in a medium bowl.
2. Work in cut butter with hands until well blended. Set aside.
Sweet Potato Filling:
1. Grease a 2-quart baking dish.
2. Beat eggs in a large bowl – mix beaten eggs with mashed sweet potatoes.
3. Add melted butter, sugar, cream, vanilla, nutmeg and allspice to sweet potato mixture – Mix well.
4. Spread evenly in prepared baking dish. Sprinkle praline topping evenly over potato mixture.
5. Bake for 60-70 minutes until topping is brown and bubbling.
6. Garnish with pecan halves and enjoy!
Nothing beats a big scoop of this decadent dish on a cool fall day! You can find this recipe and more in Bronner’s Flavorful Favorites Cookbook – Volume 2.
Thankfully it’s a large enough dish meant to be shared with others . . . although if you decide to keep it at home for yourself, we won’t blame you!
While our sweet potato casserole is baking to perfection in your oven, keep the fall theme rolling! Make our easy DIY toilet paper roll pumpkins to decorate your home.