Salt dough is growing in popularity, and understandably so. After all, it’s fun for both adults and children. What’s more, with only a 2 staple ingredients we’re 99.9% sure you already have on hand, plus water, you can whip up a batch any time! Catered to your crowd and intention, this dynamic Bronner’s Flavorful Favorites salt dough recipe is great no matter what age you’re entertaining.😂 Let us explain …
Originally shared from the first edition of Bronner’s Flavorful Favorites staff cookbook, as a safe, non-toxic, homemade playdough, all it takes is a simple, low-temperature bake to transform this basic dough into crafty keepsakes or gift tags!
Salt Dough Ornament Keepsakes
Create a beautiful assortment of ornaments you can use to add in your sustainable décor for the tree or personalize for use as fun, homemade gift tags! (I did that with little gifts for each place setting at my Ladies Tea table one year!) Salt dough can also make a handy-y “plaster” for preserving a tiny handprint!
Why not invite over your favorite friends, pour your favorite beverage in a fancy glass (complete with party food of course!) and craft the night away?!
Crafty Ornament Ideas:
- Consider adding in fun spices or a few drops of your favorite oils for an aromatic experience.
- Press fun textures, prints, or patterns into salt dough before drying.
- Prepared ahead of time, pressed flowers can be Mod-Podged® on to (fully dried) salt dough ornaments for a botanical keepsake.
- Personalize dried, salt dough ornaments for one-of-a-kind DIY gift tags or ornaments.
Playdough for Playtime!
OK, so there really isn’t an age limit to playdough playtime … But this variation does make a really great sensory experience for the kids.
As a matter of fact, this recipe is so easy-peasy the kiddos can even make it themselves! We recommend making up a few batches (or divide batches in half) with an array of food colors for a little variety so little (or big) imaginations can create to their hearts desire.
Bronner’s Home-Made Salt Dough Recipe Video
HOMEMADE SALT [PLAY] DOUGH
- 2 Cups Flour
- 1 Cup Salt
- 1 Cup Water
- Food Coloring optional
- In a large mixing bowl, add to 2 cups of flour, 1 cup each of salt and water.
- Knead the mixture until a smooth dough is formed. (Add more flour or water to reach the desired consistency*.)
- Optional, add food coloring to the dough and knead until well mixed.
- FOR PLAYDOUGH: The stickier the dough the messier it will be and the less likely to keep its shape in playtime. A more dry dough is tougher to mix, but holds up best for playtime.
- FOR SALT DOUGH ORNAMENTS: Bake at 250° for approximately 2 hours – time may vary depending on the thickness of your dough. Alternatively, you may opt to air dry ornaments for a few days. For more tips, see Lemon Lime Adventure’s Salt Dough Experiment.
12 Days Of Christmas In July!
🎵”On the 7th day of Christmas my true love gave to me … “🎵
We hope you’ll consider subscribing to our blog community of Christmas lovers to enjoy crafts, activities, games, recipes, decorating ideas and so much more!