When expressing your love for someone, it’s the small gestures that make a big difference. One of the most comforting and well-known ways to show love is through food. After all, there is an old saying: “The way to the heart is through the stomach.” 😂 For instance, baking this blueberry buckle for a loved one is the perfect way to say “I love you ‘Berry Much’.”
Certainly, the aroma of a blueberry cake baking in the oven can bring forth wonderful sentiments, such as sitting in Grandma’s kitchen as a child or a summer picnic with a baked blueberry confection for dessert.
Blueberry Season is Here!
Indeed, it’s hard to believe it’s finally berry season in Michigan! Generally, the season begins in July and runs throughout the summer. During the peak season, pick your own blueberry farms can be found throughout the state, also known as “U-Pick”. Whether with family, friends, or on your own, a trip to the blueberry farm is pure fun! With this in mind, pack a picnic lunch and head for a day full of filling your buckets (and your stomach) with these juicy gems! By all means, the timing is also perfect for a trip to the National Blueberry Festival in beautiful South Haven, Michigan. You’ll undoubtedly have full hearts and bellies by the time the season is over.
Picking Fresh Blueberries
By all means, picking fresh blueberries is a fun experience, and can also be relaxing. Be that as it may, your adventures will be much more enjoyable if you are prepared before you arrive. With this in mind, we have compiled a few blueberry picking tips to ensure your visit to the farm is a pleasant one.
Blueberry U-Pick Tips:
- First, it’s a good idea to call ahead for farm hours and verify any guidelines that they may ask you to follow. In general, weekdays and mornings are not as busy as weekends.
- Secondly, here are a few pointers to help you get ready. To begin, you will need to dress according to the weather, which often includes a hat and sunscreen. Certainly, it is important to remain hydrated. For transporting your treats, bring your own buckets, a wagon, and even hand wipes – all good options.
- Lastly, keep these tips in mind. Generally, the bigger berries are the sweeter ones. By all means, take plenty of time to pick the ripe berries from the bush. However, don’t forget to go deep into each bush to get hidden berries. Leave the unripe blueberries to ripen so that others can pick them in a few days. After all, there will be plenty to go around!
Freezing Fresh Blueberries
If by chance, you pick more than you can eat, there are numerous possibilities for what to do with these delicious gems. From jams to pancakes to pies, we could talk about blueberries until we are blue in the face! Certainly, there are many delicious options. However, blueberries freeze well, making them perfect for later use. Furthermore, these frozen berries can be stored for up to 10 months! Did you know that frozen blueberries can be used for smoothies without being thawed?
How To Freeze Fresh Blueberries
To begin to freeze fresh blueberries, be sure to remove any leaves, debris, or crushed berries.
Next, lay the good berries in a single layer on a baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper. After that, place the baking sheet in the freezer.
Once the blueberries are frozen, you can transfer them to a freezer-safe container. It is important to note that fresh blueberries have a protective coating on them and therefore do not need to be washed before freezing. However, the berries should be washed before consuming.
Best Practice For Thawing Frozen Blueberries
To thaw the berries, cover them in a container with room temperature water and allow them to thaw. Finally, drain and dry the berries before use.
The Benefits Of Blueberries
More than merely delicious, blueberries are also nutritious. Not only are they loaded with vitamin C and antioxidants, but blueberries also boast the following benefits:
- Reduce wrinkles.
- Lower blood pressure.
- Improve eyesight.
- Help bone strength.
- Help with weight loss.
- Improve heart strength.
- Boost memory.
Baking With Blueberries
With so many perks, baking up some treats made with love and blueberries is the perfect way to tell someone “Love you Berry Much!” Unquestionably, a batch of blueberry scones would be a fantastic way to enjoy the many advantages these berries have to offer while showing someone you care.
Featured: Blueberry Scone Ornament (1193766); Available in store or by contacting customer service.
Bronner’s Flavorful Favorites Blueberry Buckle Recipe
As mentioned earlier, blueberries are great in many baked goods, including muffins and even more so, a buckle!
What Is Blueberry Buckle?
We’re glad you asked! It can best be described as a moist coffee cake loaded with plenty of fruit that has been topped with a mouthwatering crumble layer. For this reason, you may use this delicious dish for dessert or breakfast! Not to mention, it pairs well with coffee, tea, or even fresh whipped topping. Undoubtedly, this recipe is a blueberry lover’s dream!
What’s more, Bronner’s Flavorful Favorites cookbook hosts many blueberry recipes to try with your bounty of berries! Blueberry Buckle is just one of the many fantastic recipes from Bronner’s 2nd Edition of Flavorful Favorites!
- ¼ c. butter or margarine, softened
- ¾ c. sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 c. flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ c. milk
- 2 c. blueberries
- ½ c. butter or margarine, softened
- ½ c. sugar
- ⅓ c. flour
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Cream together butter, sugar and egg.¼ c. butter or margarine, softened, ¾ c. sugar, 1 egg
- Stir in baking powder, flour, salt, milk and blueberries. Spread in 9 x 13-inch cake pan.2 tsp. baking powder, 2 c. flour, ½ tsp. salt, ½ c. milk, 2 c. blueberries
- Top with crumb topping.
- Bake at 375° for 30 to 35 minutes. (Or microwave 10 to 13 minutes.)
- Mix together until crumbly.½ c. butter or margarine, softened, ½ c. sugar, ⅓ c. flour
By all means, traditional baked pastries, such as blueberry buckle, are a fantastic option for gatherings of all types.
Alternatively, offering a charcuterie board with blueberries, summer fruits, chocolates, cheeses and meats make a terrific alternative when considering new options for upcoming summer events. This Stunning Spreads cookbook by Chrissie Nelson Rotko of Off The Eaten Path (1253435) is FULL of fun and flavorful ideas!
If you enjoyed this post’s “Love You Berry Much” theme, you may love our 5 love languages post with ideas for “5 ways to say I Love You!“