There’s so much one can learn from working at the World’s Largest CHRISTmas store about holiday traditions and celebrations around the globe. Like just what are those funny looking ‘paper tube things’?! 🎉Christmas crackers actually! And we’re showing you how to make your own in this post.👏
So What Are Christmas Crackers?
Christmas crackers are a party favor that looks like an over-sized, wrapped candy. They make a fun, popping sound when pulled open to reveal small treats and trinkets within. Other pop-ular items contained within Christmas crackers include jokes and a paper crown, which was worn during Christmas dinner in English tradition taken from Roman times, according to Wikipedia.
Invented by Englishman Tom Smith of London in 1847 as a marketing tactic for his bon-bon sweets, Christmas crackers have traditionally garnered more attention in Commonwealth countries. That is, until now …
Christmas crackers and party poppers have been gaining popularity in recent years thanks to sites like Pinterest. Think personalized place setting for a special dinner or ladies Christmas tea, ringing in the New Year, as wedding favors or even to let your baby shower guests in on the fun for a gender reveal!
DIY CHRISTMAS CRACKERS | PARTY POPPERS
The Traditional Christmas Cracker
Ready to get this party poppin’? Christmas crackers are a fun way to celebrate special occasions all throughout the year! Here is one way to make these party pleasers:
- Decorative scrapbook paper
- Double stick mounting tape
- Filler: Confetti, chocolates, small gifts, paper crown or jokes
1. Trim card stock down to 5½” wide x 11″ long.
2. Mark along the length of the paper or card stock at 1½”, 2¼” and 3″ and 9½”, 8¾” and 8″.
3. Lining up your marks, use scissors to score 3 lines across. (This will help with folding.)
4. Fold in on the first, out on the second and back in on the third line, like an accordion.
5. Cut triangle wedges out of the accordion fold. Leaving space between each cut.
Please Note: large points at the fold won’t close as smoothly, but points too small can easily tear.
6. Tape the cracker strip down to the paper.
7. Line all three sections on one edge of the cracker paper with double sided mounting tape. Then roll into a tube shape and seal. Tie one end closed with ribbon.
9. Finally, add filler and tie remaining end closed with ribbon. Trim the excess snap paper off the ends.
The best part of making your own crackers is that you can choose what surprises or messages are hidden within! So have fun and PERSONAL-ize them.
You’ll often find the paper crowns inside of crackers are traditionally made from tissue paper. We love the idea of recycling scraps of wrapping paper to make a crown. The wrapping paper tends to be a little more sturdy. Choose solid metallic shades, like the silver wrapping paper we used, or have fun and use your favorite patterned paper.
HERE’S AN IDEA:
You know how ugly Christmas sweaters are kind of a big deal?! Why not make up a few different crowns and hide them in matching crackers. Let your guests pick a cracker from the bunch and see who gets the “special” crown for a prize!
DIY Paper Crown
- Wrapping paper
- Mounting Tape
Please Note: Sizing will vary based on your needs and preferences. We used a strip approximately 23″ long x 5″ tall (with plans to trim down.)
1. Line one edge with mounting or double-sided tape and overlap the edges, creating a loop.
2. Fold flat. Then fold in half 2-3 more times. (Depending upon how many points you want your crown to have.)
3. Cut out a triangle wedge.
4. Trim down the straight side of your crown height based upon how tall you want it to be. (We left this one as is.)
Have fun and help your guests to party like a King or Queen!
But Wait. What Makes A Christmas Cracker Pop?
You’re curious too? Hayley Loren, an engineer and project manager-turned-speaker and educator, shares the “explosive” science behind the cracker strips that make them snap:
Christmas Crackers At Bronner’s
Love the idea but don’t want to make your own? Bronner’s has a whole section of Christmas crackers that are sure to be POP-ular at your next celebration! (Prizes inside vary.)
Christmas Cracker Styles Available At Bronner’s
- December 25th Set of 10 (1200214) $18.99
- Holographic Candy Cane Set of 10 (1208347) $22.99
- Nutcracker Soldier Set of 8 (1166278) $23.99
- Red & Green Christmas Trees Set of 6 (1208346) $22.99
- Red Glitter Berries Set of 6 (1208345) $31.99
Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to see just how many paper crowns I can balance on my head!