Grow your Christmas party festivities this year with our DIY Santa pants flower pots! Fill them with plump, red geraniums for Christmas in July or with blazing poinsettias to make a statement at Christmastime.
DIY Santa Pants Flower Pots
While you’re crafting, carry on the Santa belt theme with our Santa Belt 20-Ounce Tumbler Cup. After all, we’re celebrating.
- 2 6-inch clay pots and matching saucers
- 2 strips of white batting, 1 inch wide by 15 inches long
- 1 43-inch length of 2-inch wide black ribbon We used a faux black leather ribbon.
- 1 sheet of glittered gold craft foam, regular or self-adhesive We used a regular sheet and simply glued the buckle to the belt with our hot glue.
- 2 6-inch pots of live, red geraniums … or
- 4 full stems of silk geraniums
- 1 can of red spray paint We used Krylon’s Dual Paint + Primer in cherry red.
- 1 can of black spray paint We had Rust-oleum’s gloss protective enamel in black, and it worked well.
- newspaper to protect your work surface
- glue gun & glue sticks
Prepare to Paint
- First, cover your work surface with newspaper.
- Second, turn the pots upside down on the work surface and spray, covering with a light coat of cherry red paint, following the directions on the can. It’s important to keep the can moving and about 10 inches from the pot while spraying. This prevents the paint from running. If you do get a paint run, you can sand the surface after it dries and then paint the area again. However, it’s best to get it right the first time.
- After the first coat dries, add a second coat. When the pots are dry, turn them over and paint the tops and insides of the pots cherry red, following the directions above.
- When the pots are dry and finished, remove them and the used newspaper from your work surface and replace it with clean newspaper.
- In like manner, turn the saucers upside down on the work surface and spray, covering with a light coat of black paint, following the directions on the can. It’s important to keep the can moving and about 10 inches from the saucer while spraying.
- After the first coat dries, add a second coat. When the saucers are dry, turn them over and paint the tops and insides of the saucers black, following the directions above.
- When the saucers are dry and finished, remove them and the used newspaper from your work surface.
- Afterward, cut two strips of white batting (1 inch wide by 15 inches long). Glue one around the outside bottom of each cherry red pot.
- At this point, cut a 43-inch length of black ribbon. Stand the two pots next to each other in their saucers so they look like pant legs. Glue the black ribbon around the tops of the two pots to form a belt. You should have about 6 extra inches of length like you would on a normal belt. (Just secure it with glue.)
- Finally, cut a 3-inch square from the sheet of glittery, gold foam. Next, cut a 1 1/2-inch square from the center of the 3-inch square. This will be the belt buckle. Finally, glue it to the front center of the belt.
- Place your flowers in the pots and your DIY Santa Pants Flower Pots are complete!
Clay flower pots are certainly one of my favorite new craft supplies. In short, you can make so many things from them. Just look at our terra cotta Christmas tree, for example. Let us know in the comments below what you craft using terra cotta flower pots.
12 Days Of Christmas In July
This fun craft comes as part of Bronner’s 12 Days Of Christmas In July celebration! A dozen days of crafts, activities, games, and heartwarming stories we’re sure you won’t want to miss!