We’re dishing up a delicious recipe from Irene Bronner for her corn casserole, which is featured in our 2nd edition, Flavorful Favorites cookbook. Therefore, it only seemed fitting we share it with a side of corny jokes from her late husband, Wally Bronner!
IRENE BRONNER’S CORN CASSEROLE*
– Whole kernel corn, 1 (15-oz.) can, drained
– Cream-style corn, 1 (15-oz.) can
– Jiffy corn muffin mix, 1 (8-oz.) pkg.
-1 c. sour cream
-1/2 c. butter, melted
– 1 to 1 1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. In a large bowl, stir together the two cans of corn, corn muffin mix, sour cream and butter.
3. Pour into greased 9 x 13-inch casserole dish.
4. Bake 45 minutes or until golden brown.
5. Remove from the oven and top with cheese.
6. Return to the oven for 5 to 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
7. Let stand for at least 5 minutes and serve warm.
*submitted by Irene Bronner
Admittedly, we accidentally (or was it?!) mixed some additional cheese in with the corn casserole ingredients in the first bake. Hey, the more cheese the better, right?
What is Corn Casserole without a Side of Jokes?!
Undoubtedly, we’d never be able to share all of Wally’s jokes. But he did include 111 of them in his very last book 111 Reflections Plus… Therefore we are able to share a few with you here for the perfect side of “corny jokes” to accompany Irene’s recipe:
- A man was proud to say that he had provided dinner for his wife every night since they were married. When asked what he makes best for meals, he replied, “Reservations!”
- It’s noticeable that my hourglass figure gained 20 minutes.
- A man who suspected that his dear wife had a hearing problem decided to give her a test. Evidently he hollered from upstairs to his wife in the kitchen, “Honey, do you love me?” No reply. From the top of the steps, he posed the same question and again received no reply. The concerned husband rushed down the stairs to his wife, put his arms around her and again asked, “Dearie, do you love me?” She promptly replied in a raised voice, “For the third time, yes I do!”
- A daughter about to be married asked her mother, “What should I think about on my wedding day?” The mom counseled her to concentrate on three words. “You’ll be walking down the church aisle; ahead of you is the alter, and the organ will sound out the hymn. So, daughter dear, just remember those three words: aisle, alter, hymn.” The daughter asked, “Aisle, alter, hymn?” The mother answered, “Sure you will – just look at how much I altered your father.”
- Speakers and Christmas can be quite similar … you never know when you might get a fruitcake.
- A husband had his shopping problems every Christmas. Whatever he bought for his wife she was inclined to return because it was the wrong color, style or size. The ingenious man had a good idea and purchased a gift certificate from Bronner’s CHRISTmas Wonderland for her. Would you believe it – she returned the certificate. It was the wrong size!
On a more personal note …
Wally shares this sweet joke:
“My wife [Irene] took me to Alaska for an anniversary gift. I thanked her and asked how she would top the gift for our next anniversary. She replied, “I might come back and get you.”
In addition, why not try pairing Irene’s creamy corn casserole with delicious, cheesy garlic biscuits?!
One thought on “Corn Casserole Recipe”
Prince Harrys Birthday is September 15 th 1984