Love brownies, fudge and cake?! Now you can have them all … and eat [your cake] too! This decadent chocolate cake features a moist brownie-like batter with thick chocolate walnut fudge-like frosting. Chocolate lovers strike it rich with this Fudge Brownie Cake recipe from Bronner’s 1st Edition Cookbook of Flavorful Favorites!
Simple Ingredients … Delicious Cake!
The Brownie-Like Cake
The cake base of this chocolate lover’s recipe comes together with 10 simple ingredients, you probably already have on hand!
- Sour Cream
- Baking Soda
The Fudge-Like Frosting
With places like Mackinaw and Frankenmuth known for their famous fudges, just to name a few — it would seem that fudge is a part of Michigan’s culture. So it may not be a surprise that this chocolate cake recipe gets an extra-indulgent touch from decadent fudge-like frosting. What just may be surprising though, is how remarkably akin this frosting is, from a mere 6 ingredients, to walnut-fudge from your favorite shop!
- Powdered Sugar
The fun of how you frost this cake, is all up to you! Completely cover the tops and sides. Or let the fudgy frosting drip down the sides for a more rustic look that showcases the rich, chocolatey interior as well.
Opt to mix the nuts in. Or reserve and then press them into the frosting for a fancy touch that is sure to have friends and family going absolutely nutty for a taste! Pipe the frosting on and decorate with a crown of chocolate shards or garnish with curled shavings … There is no right or wrong way to savor this chocolate lover’s dream!
So how about that recipe?!
Fudge Brownie Cake
- 2 cups Flour
- 2 cups Sugar
- 4 tbsp Cocoa
- 2 sticks Butter
- 1 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream or 1 tsp vinegar in 1/2 cup milk
- 2 Eggs
- 4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1/2 tsp Salt
CHOCOLATE FUDGE FROSTING
- 1 stick Butter
- 4 tbsp Cocoa
- 6 tbsp Milk
- 4 cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 cup Nuts chopped
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Measure flour and sugar into a large bowl; set aside.
- Melt butter in a pot along with cocoa and water. Then pour over the suagar and flour; mix well.
- In a seperate bowl, combine the sour cream, eggs, baking soda and vanilla. Add to the batter and combine untile well mixed.
- Pour into a greased 9 x 13-inch pan and bake for 15-20 minutes. Alternatively, you can evenly divide the cake batter into two prepared 9-inch round cake pans* and bake for about 15-20 minutes. (Cake is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs but no batter.)*Prepare round baking pans by lining greased baking parchment into greased pans to help the cakes come out more easily.
- While the cake is baking, prepare the frosting by first melting the butter, cocoa and milk in a pan.
- Remove from the heat, then add in the powdered sugar, vanilla and, if desired, nuts.
- Pour and spread the frosting over warm cake.
Fudge Brownie Cake Featured In …
This incredibly rich recipe, from Betty Sears, is featured in Bronner’s Flavorful Favorites staff cookbook, 1st edition. But the Fudge Brownie Cake was also featured in our Mummy Decorations For Halloween post. As an alternative, we swapped the thick, fudge frosting with a mummified, melty, marshmallow shell to create a delicious treat that will have any Mummy fan all wrapped up!
Whenever or however you make it, we’re confident you’ll love this chocolate cake recipe as much as we do. It’s just one reason we’ve awarded it as one of Bronner’s FLAVORFUL FAVORITES!
May All Your Dishes Be Delicious
From our kitchen to yours, that’s Bronner’s wishes!
Do you have both editions of Bronner’s Flavorful Favorites Cookbooks? Snap a photo and share your family meals with us by tagging @BronnersChristmas on Facebook and Instagram, or @BronnersXmas on Twitter!