Hats off to the special grad! Whether from High School, College or University, graduation is an exciting time in life when one chapter closes and a new one begins. Don’t pack that tassel away in a box. We’re showing you an idea with our DIY graduation tassel keepsake ornament that’s perfect for displaying at Christmas time or all-year-long! Plus a few other gift ideas and exciting graduation DIYs for the open house!
DIY Graduation Tassel Ornament
- Graduation cap tassel.
- Large neck, clear ornament. (Our 3.25″ clear ornament set works best.)
- Hot glue.
- Carefully separate the topper from the ornament.
- Starting with the tassels, drape inside the ornament. A wooden dowel or tweezers may help with guiding in the strings.
- Leave the tassel’s hanging loop outside of the ornament so that the tassel hangs in such a way that the year displays.
- Add a ring of hot glue around the ornament rim and secure the ornament topper.
- According to your preference, trim the string or leave intact.
Watch The Video:
Graduation Gift Box Ideas
Because even though it’s what’s inside that counts, having a gift with “class” is sure to stand out!
DIY Graduation Cap Gift Box & Centerpiece Idea
Check out this post for the template and step-by-step directions to create this DIY Graduation cap gift box.
Additionally, these DIY graduation cap boxes can make a fun table centerpiece for your open house celebration!
Hide a balloon weight inside with crinkle or tissue paper. Or use it to display pictures of the special grad with a festive pop from pieces of tinsel garland on top! (Bronner’s has a great selection to accommodate many school colors!)
We simply twisted pipe cleaner and wire to create these picture holders and covered it with a little bit of tinsel garland.
Bronner’s Gift Boxes
In similar fashion minus the “craftiness”, Bronner’s gift boxes are a great alternative! Check out our tips for picking out the perfect gift box for graduation, or any occasion for that matter!
DIY Graduation Picture
Is it a graduation picture board, a wreath or a grad cap?! It’s all of the above!
- Styrofoam Ring – we used a 14″ ring.
- Black Poster Board
- Glue or mounting tape
- Black Button (Needle & Thread) or Brad
- Floral Pins (Not pictured)
- Tape or Hot Glue (Not pictured)
- Tinsel Garland, optional (Not Pictured)
- Alphabet and number stickers or cutouts, optional (Not Pictured)
- Wrap the Styrofoam ring with tinsel garland.
- Cut out an 8½” Square from the poster board.
- In the center of your square, sew the black button or secure the brad.
- Mount photos on to paper using a glue stick or mounting tape.
- Using hot glue or tape, place a floral pin on the back of each photo and press in to the Styrofoam ring.
- Decorate the hat cap.
- Hang your tassel from the button or brad.
DIY Ferrero Rocher® Chocolate Graduates
A special occasion like graduation calls for a treat with class! Ferrero Rocher® chocolates are easily transformed into little graduates. Hats off to the class of … tasty!😂
- Ferrero Rocher®
- Black Poster Board
- Brads (black or gold is best.)
- Miniature Tassels (you can also make your own with embroidery floss using the steps from this tutorial.)
- Glue Stick (or double sided tape.)
- Cut 1½” squares from the black poster board. (One per chocolate.)
- Place the ends of the brad through the square’s center. Before pushing down, hook the tassel’s loop. (If your loop is too big, wrap it around the brad a few times.) Push the brad and prongs flat against the poster board so it’s taut and the tassel is secured in place.
- Place glue or double sided tape on the bottom of the Ferrero Rocher® and secure the poster board.
- Move the Ferrero Rocher® sticker on the tassel.
DIY Décor Every Good Party Needs!
Tinsel, tinsel and more TINSEL!
Before you go, consider these fun ideas!
Tinsel garland is a great way to make a few party decorations that are BIG in style but can be light on the budget! Use foam core and tinsel to wrap numbers celebrating your graduate’s year.
Additionally, create a DIY photo booth with a tinsel backdrop that is sure to have graduates and guests feeling like the world is their oyster!